The Blue Dragon Mussel Wagon
Featuring Local Hand-Picked Wild Mussels in Portland and Brunswick, Maine
Phil Gray has made his living from the ocean since 1976. In those years he’s witnessed changes to the tidal environment, including the explosion of invasive species and increased seaweed and algea growth. In response to the effects on local shellfish, Phil started to alternate what he picked. This has been his way to improve sustainability.
For several years rope cultured mussels dominated the market until local pallets recognized the superior flavor of wild mussels that were hand collected locally. Phil picks mussels on Maine's midcoast by walking out to tidal beds or rowing a skiff to rocky outcroppings. The mussels are then cleaned in a tumbler so you get a beautiful food ready for your favorite recipes everytime.
- Delicious! Download a recipe.
- Healthy! High in protein, low in cholesterol and fat. Rich source of Omega-3, iron, manganese, phosphorous, selenium, zinc, and vitamins C and B12.
- More flavor than cultured mussels found in stores.
- Less Expensive than cultured mussels and ordinarily harder to find for the consumer.
- Support Sustainable Fishing, local fisherman, small business, and the local economy.
- Versatile, fun to eat, stores well frozen, lasts several days in 'fridge.
- Fresh is best and you can't get them any fresher.
- Purchase weekly or pre-paid shares.
|Blue Dragon Flyer Feb 2010.pdf||1.06 MB|
|Blue Dragon Recipe.pdf||520.37 KB|